Thursday, April 2, 2009

Butter Cake II (Victoria Sandwich)

Ever since I got hold of the recipe on butter cake, I have tried baking them many many times using the margarine that my friend's wife mentioned in her recipe. Later I tried one brand which contain buttermilk and vegetable oil. This particular brand is more expensive because it contains buttermilk. Not until my Hainanese friend commented that "not bad but it is a stingy butter cake". He is the person who told us that he help his mum to bake this cake during his younger day. They used a certain brand of butter which is no longer available.

Knowing very well that margarine is not good for health. I have not use them in all my pastry and cakes. Not until this particular recipe, no wonder in the morning market this so called 'butter cake' can be sold at RM5.

I have make a search in the internet on margarine vs butter. Margarine is a product next to plastic. So with this understanding, my advice is never substitute butter with margarine.















In my last post, I mentioned that I have not tried this simple recipe that uses 1kg of butter, 1 kg of self raising flour, 1 kg sugar and 20 eggs. This recipe is actually known as Victoria sandwich by Good Housekeeping Institute.

"Stingy butter cake" comments prompted me to bake the cake again using only pure butter.


500g Butter (2 x 250g)
500g Castor sugar
500g Plain Flour with 1 tsp baking powder (sieved)
10 egg, separate egg yolk with egg whites

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the egg yolk and lastly add in the flour and set aside. In another bowl, whisk egg whites till stiff and fold them into the above mixture. Line four 7" baking tins and place the mixture into the prepared tins. Each weight about 520g. For marbled effect mix some cocoa powder with the plain mixture and lightly swirl the cocoa mixture with a knife.



Lightly smooth the surface in the tins with a palette knife to ensure an even surface when cooked. Bake them at 190 C for about 25 minutes until they are well risen, golden, firm to the touch and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tins. Turn out and leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack.

With this new recipe, I managed to sell 8 pieces of them at RM9 each.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.