Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Children Birthday Party

I have one girl and two boys. One year three birthday parties to celebrate, February, March and August. My daughter is now 17 and the boys are 14 and 12. My husband and myself are in the Shaklee business and active in our Kajang Buddhist Center, mountain climbing and hashing. As the children are growing so do their circle of friends, plus our networking members and friends. From a small party of 6 family members to 50 guests now. Sometimes we even have to decide which groups of friends to invite together with our children's friends.

To organize a party, one have to make up the guest list, invite people and get firm responses, being Malaysian the responses are always "If I can make it I will come" and "Maybe", therefore I always prepare extra. Beside the guest list I also have a food list, consist of main course, deserts and cake, drinks, salad and fruits. I even recorded the previous party menu and guest list.

The main course are usually heavy stuff such as fried noodles, fried or BBQ chicken wings, lamb chops, sausages, nasi lemak, 'popia' and etc. The drinks can be chinese tea, barley, cincau (black jelly), cordial drinks such as orange or mango. We always have fresh fruits such as watermelon, honeymelon and pineapple. "Rojak" and is the best fruits to serve. It is a mixture of pineapple, guava, raw papaya, turnip, cucumber and raw mango. All cut in bite-size pieces and dip in the 'rojak' sauce. Dessert can be jelly, pudding, local 'kuih-kuih' and the birthday cake.

I have two banquet table and a ping-pong table for placing the food. Some square table for guests to sit and 'makan'. Always have a corner by itself for drinks with cups or paper cups. If you plan to have parties often, do not use paper plates or cups because it is costly. The main food and salad will be place at one corner and the desserts and fruits at the other corner. Plates, spoon and fork or chopstick in a trolley. Make sure to have rubbish bin or big plastic bag ready for disposing unwanted food and rubbish.

My daughter's birthday fall on the 2nd day of CNY and she invited some of classmates from Convent Kajang. I have prepared a pandan layer cake and 'yee sang' for her birthday party. My youngest son's birthday was on 25th March and I have baked two Suprise Cheese cakes and 'mee rojak' as the main course. The next birthday will be on 21st August and I have to start preparing the guest list and food list.

Have fun and be happy! ♥

No comments: