Monday, August 6, 2007

Red Bean Dessert Soup

Red bean soup is a popular Chinese sweet dessert soup ('bubur kacang merah' in Malay). It can be serve hot or cold and it is very common and can be found in most of the "tong sui" stall in the food court, noodle stall or those specialize in sweet dessert. There are many types of sweet dessert soup, the most common one is red bean, follow by green pea, bubur 'cha-cha', pulut hitam, sweet potato, 'mak chok', 'foo chok pak kor', 'hoi tai yer' red dates and etc. Bubur is one of my favorite dessert and sometimes when you eat these bubur you can't get the 'oomph' just like a coffee lover or tea lover, something is missing either too sweet or not enough bean.

Red bean bubur is very common and easy to prepare. I have seen people cook red bean in slow cooker overnight and add sugar when ready for serving and I can guarantee you that it won't taste that good. I have got comment from lots of friends saying our red bean bubur taste very good and I would said most of the bubur that we prepared are very good especially bubur cha-cha. We even received orders for bubur cha-cha for 40 to 50 bowls for party and we only charged RM60 despite all the cutting and steaming of yam, sweet potato and tapioca and lots of coconut milk.


The red bean soup for 50 - 60 bowls will cost only RM50. For preparation of 60 bowls red bean bubur you need more than 2 ½ kg red bean, 2 kg of sugar and 300g of sago. Cook the red bean in pressure cooker for 15 to 20 mins and later mix with water and pandan leaves and cook till boiling and when ready add in sugar and the cooked sago. To prepare cooked sago just boil sago over boiling water and keep stirring to avoid sticking to the bottom and when cooked, wash them over running water in the sieve.


I have three big pot of different sizes (40cm, 45cm & 50cm) and these pots are always admire by many people because it is stainless steel and too big for normal household use. They always ask where I bought these pots from and the answer is from Thailand. My father-in-law bought them for me and I can't imagine how he managed to carry them back by bus. I always tell my customer to take care of my pot because it cost more than its content. We have sponsored red bean bubur for many events such as food fair, charity sale and hash runs. We are sponsoring one big pot of red bean soup for the upcoming Nalanda Food Fair on 19th August 2007 in Serdang (last food fair we sponsored peanuts cuttlefish porridge). See you there!

Have fun and be happy! ♥

No comments: