Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Chinese New Year 'Yee Sang'

"Yee Sang" is a chinese-style raw fish salad, consist of strips of raw fish (salmon) and shredded vegetables and a variety of sauce. "Lo Hei" - tossing "yee sang" during CNY is a custom for families and friends to gather around the table and, on cue, proceeding to toss the shredded ingredients into the air with chopsticks while uttering wishes and good luck. You can get lots of 'yee sang' recipe from the internet and cookbooks. My family love 'yee sang' very much and during CNY we will queue up to pack 'yee sang' and normally one 'mei' (portion) is always not enough for us not to mention half 'mei". One 'mei' of 'yee sang' will cost RM38 and its portion is getting smaller and smaller. That is the reason one 'mei' is never enough for family of 6. So I started research into ways to prepare 'yee sang' for my family. I even bought big plates meant for the 'yee sang' purpose only. The dishes was presented and served exactly like those in the restaurant. My one 'mei' of 'yee sang' is definitely enough for 10 person.

On the 2nd day of CNY it was my daughter's birthday and beside the birthday cake we have 'Yee Sang" for "Loh-Hei". I have prepare 6 'mei' and most of my family members and guests were surprised that it tasted so good. I didn't use raw fish instead I substituted it with jelly fish and for vegetarian just leave out the jelly fish. Some even placed orders and they were so happy because they can do the "loh-Hei" straight away because if you "tar pow" (pack) from the restaurant, most family will not have such a big plate to "loh" the 'yee sang' and I will only collect back the plates the following day. I have 10 pieces of them for recycling and sometimes I even run out of plates. Need to invest on more plates next Chinese New Year. I managed to sold around 30 "mei' for RM28 each.

Have fun and be happy! ♥

No comments: